Experiencing Hurricane Sandy – 18 hours later

(Written 12.30pm Tuesday, 30th October 2012)

The storm really hit us last night around Monday, 29th 2012  6pm EST and it lasted till around 10pm EST.

This 4 hours was like NOTHING I have ever experienced in my entire life. My 53rd floor building started swaying from side to side and I was FREAKED OUT. I’m on the 51st floor and I could see NOTHING around me except for the torrential rain that was beating hard against the windows.Throughout the course of the 4 hours, lights started to go out around me and it was the first time I’ve seen lower Manhattan pitch black in some areas.  After a while, I decided enough was enough and closed the blinds because I could not see anything beyond the pounding sound on my window by the strong winds.

I know I had been advised to stay clear of the windows, but sitting down on my sway-ey couch and having NO IDEA of what happening around me was worse than the 0.0001% probability that something might come up through my window. Honestly, if the winds were that strong to lift stuff from the ground to the 51st floor window, it would have been the end of us anyways.

The whole of Monday night and Tuesday morning (Its 12pm EST 30th October 2012). Rain and wind was just continuing around where we are, but the intensity of it was variable.

At around 6pm on Monday night (+/-) power went out. That’s when shit hit the fence for me, a few hours prior my building was already creaking lots due to the strong winds but when it started to get dark and I had no power, no internet, no cell reception and no access to the news, shit started to get real for me.  We did have a transistor radio, but we only have 1 set of backup batteries, so my radio will last for as long as those batteries last.

On tues morning, Kris was getting a little stressed because he got texts from his office saying that his data centres are down and many people are trying to get to him. Problem is our cell service is so spotty that he can barely reply. My iphone is not working at all, I switched it on and masses of messages stream it but before I can get to read them, much less reply, the cell service goes out. So I’m pretty much given up on using the cell.

Gas is still running so I went to baked some cookies and took out some food from the fridge that is most perishable and we started with that. We had ice cream for breakfast and pre-cooked pasta I made yesterday for lunch and some cookies (pre made dough and all you have to do is pop them into the oven).

Downstairs in lower Manhattan the water is reclining and I heard from our door man (who have worked throughout the storm) that our basement is not flooded, which is a good thing. They came around to tell us that water will last as long as the water tanks above us don’t run out and passed around black trash bags as our trash rooms downstairs are all flooded.

From the radio, apparently the 14th street power station got blown up, other power stations got blown up, so I’m not sure when power is going to come right now. People outside of lower manhattan or people back home in Singapore probably has more information than me because we don’t have much access to whats going on around us besides the radio.

I have never been more aware of how reliant I am on the internet than now. Lower Manhattan is the most badly hit in terms of Manhattan, but in comparison to New Jersey  in which the brunt of the hurricane ravaged through, this is nothing.

The irony is a few hours before Hurricane Sandy hit us hard, we got my VISA approved and I was beyond myself in excitement.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge